Below are 10 ideas to take action as a Hunger Free New England Compact signer:
1) Use our customized data sheets for each state when talking with your elected officials about hunger in your state. This sheet includes the compact language and space for you to share state based data and stories.
2) Share the Hunger Free New England Compact as far and wide as you can using your social media handles with the hashtag #hungerfreenewengland. We need as many signers as we can get!
3) Contact your local anti-hunger organization to see how you can get involved. A good place to start is looking through your state list and clicking links to partners who have signed on.
4) Call or write your member of Congress to let them know you've signed the Hunger Free New England Compact and you want them to as well.
5) Call or write your state and local representatives to let them know you've signed the Hunger Free New England Compact and you want them to sign as well. But don't stop there! Ask your state and local representatives to mention the Hunger Free New England Compact and the importance of ending hunger in their public speaking engagements.
6) Write letters to the editor and opinion pieces about the importance of the Hunger Free New England Compact and the work of your state organizations. Ending hunger will take all of us and you stories matter!
7) Give locally! Your state advocacy organizations work hard to ensure no one in your state goes hungry. If you have a little extra, give to one of these great organizations!
8) One contact is never enough. Consider putting a standing appointment on your calendar to take action. You can check up on new resources on the Hunger Free New England website, you can tweet a new article you find, you can make a monthly call to an elected official, and the list goes on and on. Be creative!
9) Attend a local meeting or hearing and raise the issue of hunger in your community. Ask everyone there to sign the Hunger Free New England Compact.
10) Stay positive! We can solve hunger if we keep working together behind shared beliefs and strategies. Every time you feel down about the state of the world, recommit yourself to being the change you want to see.
These are just 10 examples, but there are many strategies you can take to advance the work of the Hunger Free New England Compact. Are you doing something cool to advance this work? Tell us about it! Email Marissa at Hunger Free Vermont and she will share your story on the Hunger Free New England Website!